Come exam time and sleep becomes the dearest! Pick up a book in a few minutes you start dozing off. If this happens to you just relax because it is very natural and can be avoided as well.
Why Does This Happens?If you are looking for a scientific reason then Lactic Acid is the culprit! Most students, while studying sit in a relaxed pose for long periods of time. Because of this, your metabolism slows down and instead of glucose, lactic acid is produced. Lactic acid is a high oxygen absorbing chemical, which quickly reacts with oxygenated blood to reduce the flow of blood to the brain. Due to the lack of oxygenated blood, the brain gets tired and therefore you feel sleepy.
How to avoid this?
As lack of activity and your posture is the main reason behind let’s get that corrected.
- Sit on a proper chair (not the comfy couch) with your back straight.
- Take a regular breaks, get up from your chair, take a few steps and then come back to study
- Drink water so that need to hit the washroom often.
- Make sure you engage in a longer physical activity in the day. Be it yoga, brisk walk or playing any sport.
Other ways to deal with it
- Wash your face with cold water or you can even take a cold shower
- Avoid eating heavy meals as they make your brain and body sluggish
- You can read aloud and even make notes by writing while studying
- Have proper lighting in your room
- Tea or coffee can also work but do not overdo that.
Try Online Studies
Studying online and not from a book is definitely much more interesting and engaging. If you are preparing for engineering or medical entrance exams, sign up at simplylearnt.com and get your guided study plan and complete study material. Practice Lounge is the most fun way to prepare for exams.
Finally, if you are really sleepy and nothing else works that means your body needs rest. Take a short nap in this case and make sure you have told your alarm clock, your mom, your friends even your dog to wake you up in less than 30 minutes. Many people call it a power nap or cat nap too.
Good Luck and Stay Awake (only when you can!)